Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)
The Children and Families Act 2014 places statutory duties on the NHS, both health commissioners and providers to work with the local authority to provide the best support to disabled children and young people and those with SEN 0-25 years.
• Early identification of children and young people with SEND and notification to the appropriate Local Authority.
• Early support offered to children, young people, and their families with SEND and support to others involved in their health care needs.
• Develop effective ways to gain views of Children, young people families & local communities of user experiences with SEND.
• Contribute to the Education, Health and Care needs assessment led by the local authority.
• Work with LA to contribute to SEND Local Offer (Leaflet website) ‘one stop shop.
• Work in partnership with the local authorities, children, young people and their families to participate in commissioning services to meet the identified needs and improve outcomes for those with SEND.
Norfolk and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Groups have a Designated Clinical Officer to support them and the commissioned health services in meeting their statutory duties and responsibilities and can be contacted by: telephoning 01502 719500 or email gywccg.SEND@nhs,net
Get Your Rights is a new interactive website which helps to explain to children and young people their rights when using the NHS.
All local authorities are to publish a local offer that sets out information about provision expected to be available across education, health and social care all in one place ‘one stop shop’, which is regularly reviewed and updated.
You can read about Norfolk, Suffolk's SEND Local Offer which tells you about the support and services on offer to children and young people with SEND in their area.
Other useful links are
· Council for Disabled children that has significant information and resources available. Where you can register and receive regular updates. www.councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk